Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Shear Pin

Well, I think we caught a break. Turns out our driveline failure was a brass shear pin in the drive coupling. I will elaborate further when I get back to the boat and check it out. I think it would have been a good idea to find out where the shear pins were before we took off the first time. Man do I feel stupid.
Upon further review, the part that failed was the brass key stock in the propellor side of the shaft coupling. it apparently was installed incorrectly as only about a third of the key was in the keyway. I will mention that the last installer was Diversified Marine Services in Annapolis. I will also mention that they did my winterization last fall and the fridge hasn't worked since. I can't actually place blame for the fridge but it was working before and was not after. I have to say I am impressed with the service at Lookout Point. Unfortunately, it is a long run up there. Time will tell but our conversations have led me to believe the they have a pretty good handle on the repair business. They certainly seem to have a following in the big money go boats. We are going to do a short haul, check the shaft and get the prop reconditioned and balanced. Hopefully the tranny will last until we are ready to repower in a few years.

Capt. Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment